Okay, so I really love banana bread. And my mom has this great recipe that is SO not healthy, but man, it’s good. All the buttery, sugary goodness you could ask for. However, since I’m currently doing another round of 21 Day Fix and I all but signed in blood that I would actually be good this time for the whole three weeks, mom’s banana bread was unfortunately off the table.
On Pinterest there were hundreds of recipes but they all called for ingredients that I didn’t have and some appeared more like a science experiment than an actual recipe. I just wanted something simple made with clean ingredients, was that too much to ask for? So, I ended up combining several recipes into one, adding a few remnants from my childhood recipe, and coming up with something that was not only delicious, but I could actually have a few slices without ruining my healthy trend. Enjoy!
Healthy Banana Bread (that’s 21 Day Fix Approved!)
2 cups of flour of your choice (whole wheat/gluten-free/unbleached AP/almond)
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon or apple pie spice
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup honey
1/4 tsp vanilla
2 1/3 cups bananas (about 5 small bananas)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mashed the bananas and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients and mix well.
4. In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients and cream together. Stir in mashed bananas, then beat eggs (I like doing it in the same measuring cup), add, and blend together.
5. Fold wet mixture into flour mixture. Fold gently, being careful not to over mix (or the bread will turn out flat and tough).
6. Lightly grease two 9×5 loaf pans with a little coconut oil. Pour batter into the two loaf pans
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
8. Remove from oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Shake the pans gently, flip over, and allow loaves to cool on wire rack.
Serving Size: 1 slice
21 Day Fix: 1 yellow, 1/2 purple, 1 tsp.